What's it about?

Here's a place for me to detail my goings on so people who are interested can find out.
It will mainly be about my Occupational Therapy pracs, serving both as a diary and for friends and family to find out what I've been up to.

The title refers to the fact that in the next 18 months it is likely that I will live in at least 6 different places. People as where I'm form and it's hard to answer, I'm from Narooma, I go to uni in Albury, I live in Queanbeyan part time. Where is home?

I really look forward to the day where I can call a place home for good and be certain that it is home.

Enjoy

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dubbo: Week 2;2

So I've decided I don't like having to unpack and repack my toiletries every time I go for a shower. Annoying! I've also decided I don't like it when someone flushes the toilet while I'm having a shower and burns by bum. Then wash their hands in hot water so they freeze my bum. Lovely.

The days this week have dragged out very slowly. I'm definitely not used to having a routine and working for 8 hours a day. Uni makes you weak. Too much sleep and laziness. It's good to have full days, feeling like you're contributing to the labour force. Although I'd much rather if I received some sort of remuneration for all this labour. All in due time I guess.

SIDE NOTE: When I typed "I'm blogging" into a text message it told me "I'm clogging" which I found funny. Anyone feel like going clogging?

I have been writing lots of reports. Monday I made some appointments and got to discharge some clients who had got what they needed from elsewhere or didn't need OT for some other reason. Was nice to feel I could help cut down their waiting list.
Clients classified as 'urgent' are supposed to be seen within 7 days... most aren't seen for up to 6 months. There's just too many people.
I got to discharge 3. Small number, but every bit helps.

Tuesday was another home visit ("to get you out of the office for a bit" according to my supervisor... also to give me MORE paperwork to do). An older lady who needed a few rails. The suction rail that is usually in the car had gone AWOL so I was sent back later (ON MY OWN) to simulate rail positions and determine which would be functionally appropriate for the client.

I'm feeling closer to being a real OT now!

Wednesday was something different!!!
My supervisor is a qualified driving assessor. Today we had a driving assessment. The client had a CVA around 10 months ago that had affected his right arm and his speech.
First there was a thousand bits of paperwork to go through, medical history stuff and some strength, ROM and coordination testing. Then a written test for the client consisting of road rules and some intersection questions (who goes first at this intersection). Then a whole bunch of slide that you get to look at for 3 seconds then had to name what was in the picture, where it was and which direction it was heading. I found it difficult!! The client had some trouble because he could think what they were but because of the difficulties with speech it took him a while to get the words out and by that time he had forgotten what else was in the picture.
So then we went driving. Driving instructor in the front, supervisor and myself in the back.
He was assessed to be safe to drive. Report then goes to the RTA.
Pretty interesting and there was a lot involved.
Don't know whether I want to become a driving assessor though as my supervisor said that some of them get very scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment